Saturday, January 21, 2006

Third Day in Rome

Getting lost can be fun, but frustrating. After the academic orientation and Italian placement exam we had a free afternoon. We decided to see the Spanish steps and visit a park. At first we did not really know how to get there, but we had an idea of which direction with should go. So we just walked aimlessly until we found a main street and looked on the map. This technique seems to be our approach to most things. It is nice walking around Rome when you have not time constraints. The technique of aimless walking definitely created the phrase of the day: The River is not straight and it gives me problems – SARIT. It was interesting getting lost and finding ourselves again. We actually just happened upon the places that we wanted to go. We found a huge oblisque in a plaza, but there was no sign explaining its significance. The oblisque was covered as if they were restoring it or it was under construction.
After that we found a park that had a wonderful view of the city.

It was there that I realized that we were talking a bit loudly… an din English. (Not a good combination in a foreign country!) I told Sarit and Nabihah that we should quiet down because we did not want to stick out more than we already did. It is hard not to be loud here because everything is so exciting. Everywhere you look there is something beautiful.

We walked in the park for a bit and then we happened upon the Spanish Steps. It was full of people!

Down the street near the Spanish Steps is the most expensive shopping area that I have ever seen. This street puts South Coast to shame. It is has everything.

After walking down the street we got very lost. I was very cold and tired, but it was nice to walk around Rome at night. I really love living in a REAL city. Yes… I know Oxnard is a city, but … come on! It cannot compare! There is something happening here ALL of the time.

We finally found our way home after our little adventure of getting way lost. We then got ready for the party that our landlord was holding for us. This party was supposed to be an opportunity for all of the EAP students to meet Italians. Wow…. It was lame. Crazy lame! The party was supposed to start at 9pm. My friend and I got there at 9:30, but there was NO ONE THERE!!! It was pretty strange. So we went to a restaurant and I had pizza and beer while my friends took shots. At 10pm I had to leave the restaurant because I was meeting Emanuele. Can you believe that his mother made a cake for my friends and me? Not only that… but he also gave me a drink that his grandmother makes called Limoncello Cream. Emanuele calls this drink “super alcoholic”… but only super alcoholic. There is no noun that follows “super alcoholic.” It is kind of funny. Anyway… the cake was wrapped like a present. It was totally cute! The cake was amazing too. It had pineapple, kiwi, and peaches over a yellow cake which was soaked in limoncello (the same “super alcoholic”).

After we dropped those things off in my fridge, we met with my friend again and went to the party… which was STILL lame! There were more people there, but it just was not my scene. I don’t know. I guess my concept of fun is not the same as everyone else’s. The party was just way too… I don’t know. It was held in too small of a space and I could tell that the main objective of the evening was to get drunk and act retarded. It was not to actually get to know other Italians. I was disappointed.

After Emanuele’s friends (who are both very cute!) arrived at the party, everyone went to Campo di Fiori. Again… not my idea of fun. Let me tell you about Campo di Fiori. It is a piazza with many bars where stupid Americans go to get drunk and act like idiots. I was thoroughly annoyed at the many drunken “ugly Americans” walking around. Of course, some are just out to have a good time… and no… not all of the them are stupid, but I don’t know. Not my idea of fun.

To get to Campo di Fiori we had to take a car. Actually, we could have walked, but Emanuele had a car and decided to drive. Now driving in Rome is fun! It is not as crazy as the Philippines, but it is up there on the craziness level! All of these little cars going too fast through narrow streets. It is awesome. I know for a fact that I could NEVER drive there, but it was fun being a passenger.

The cold is like nothing that I have ever experienced and it is going to be cold like this for the next two weeks! Ahhh! É troppo freddo! Wow… Italian rocks!

Ciao

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, let's see... how do you compare OAKDALE to Rome....uh... well... it's cold here too.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, rome-ing. i love it.

come back cristina! things are going crazy, and i need your voice to make things funnier. :)

have fun in rome you crazy kid.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home