Friday, January 20, 2006

Second Day in Rome

The second day in Rome was amazing! After we had orientation at our school, which is located Vatican city, Sarit, Nabihah, Niki, Amy and I went to explore our surroundings. First we had lunch and then we had gelato. I had nutella gelato. It was very good, but abit too sweet for my taste. After that ee ended up going everywhere and seeing almost everything that I had ever wanted to see in Rome. It was landmark after landmark. It was amazing! We saw the Colosseo, Trajan’s column, the ancient forum, one of the first market places in Rome, and much more. It was seriously breathtaking. Each monument was a block away from one another. It was an art historian’s dream come true.














Emanuele met us at the Colosseo. After that he took us around the city and explained to me all of the significance of certain places. It was so informative. Then we stopped for coffee at this shop that Emanuele suggested. When I walked into the store, the smell of coffee, chocolate, and other goodies hit me. The coffee was one of the best cups of coffee I had ever had.

Things I learned about myself: I don’t complain if I am tired. I am so happy that I am not one of those people who complains and whines when they do not want to walk anymore. Whenever I feel too cold or too tired I think to myself that this discomfort is all temporary and my stay in Rome is temporary as well.

Things I learned about being a foreigner in Rome: Rome has this amazing ability to seduce its visitors with the Italian culture, the language, the food, and all of its beauty. I am really getting sucked in. It is not like any big city. It is clearly evident that the people who grow up in Rome really appreciate where they come from and know so much about their city.

After the sightseeing which lasted ALL DAY LONG and after Emanuele went home we were all very tired. We decided to head back to the apartment to relax. Then Sarit had the wonderful idea of having some wine on her balcony. That is when we decided to have an impromptu wine, cheese and bread party. So we went to Todis, the local supermarket, and picked up different bottles of wine so that we could find one that we liked. I have a theory that the wine with the writing only in Italian on the back of the bottle is better than the bottles that also have an English translation. I think this may be because the English bottles are catering to English speakers and young college kids trying to get drunk. Hehe which is so not me. The wine for this party was strictly for cultural/educational purposes hehe. There are pictures to prove this.




Hmm... here are more pictures of my apartment. It is so cute! I love it!





Phrase of the day: Make good choices- AMY from room 221

I think that is it for now. Ciao!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I still think suburban Southern California is more exciting. Centuries-old monuments and breathtaking edifices do nothing for me.

Just kidding! Rome looks beautiful, Cristina. I can tell from the pictures that you're having a good time. Keep us posted on all of your adventures.

And yes, burnt pizza crust owns.

-Nicholas

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inggit Ako!!!!! I'm so glad you made it OK. I kept thinking about you all day saying to myself..she's in NY now. She's in Rome now. I wonder if she's asleep?...Fat Chance!!!! Well, do enjoy yourself..like I have to say it. I'll keep checking in.
--Anna

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home