Monday, February 27, 2006

Sorry Rome... I'm not Indian

I just have a random rant. I went to Porta Portese the other day with Caitlyn. Porta Portese is a flea market that is HUGE. (Tita Nena would just die!) They sell everything and for great price. They also have really good snacks that you can buy and eat while you browse all of the random stuff. The only hard thing about the flea market is that you have to speak in Italian, which I think is fun. It is the type of flea market where you NEVER take the first price that is offered to you so you must haggle. It is located in Trastevere which is one of my favorite parts of Rome. Okay.. on with my story. So ANYWHERE I went Indain people were asking if I was Indian. I don't get it! Nabihah does not either. She says that I totally do not look Indian at all. That is why it baffles me that EVERYWHERE I go they ask me if I am Indian. The conversation was always like this.
"Di dove sei? (where are you from?)
Me "Sono di California"
Then they ask where my parents are from. When I say "the Philippines" they would actually tell me NO! They would tell me that I have to be half Indian at least! I was not even wearing any makeup which might make me look a bit Indian. I just don't get it. I know I can get better discounts if I am Indian so I am going to ask Nabihah facts that I can say so that the story of my life in India will be credible. hehe Constantly being asked if I am Indian is not bad... it is just a bit annoying, but i guess there is an up side. Yay for getting discounts!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think I finally learned to speak with an Indian accent!!!!!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. And this whole time I thought you WERE indian!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cristina,

i too was mistaken for indian, by filipinos even, especially when i was younger. when i would ask why they thought i was indian, i would be told that my face wasn't flat. your nose is certainly not pinoy. thank your father for that.
when jaime moved to london and saw a lot of indians there, he decided to refer to the three us as mr. and mrs. patel and little indira.
i say sport a bindi and greet with a 'namaste'.

ciao bambina...
mamma

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you know enough Italian to haggle your way into a sweet deal?
This is Chris, btw. Which is easier to communicate with, posting here or using email? Let me know soon so we can continue planning.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home